Top 3 Best Balance Board Reviews of 2017 – 2018
Balance board is very versatile workout equipment with which you can perform loads of different styles of exercises that target your core muscles. You can perform static as well as dynamic balance training with these boards making it ideal for professional athletes, beginners and for physiotherapy or rehabilitation.
This article will shell out in-depth balance board reviews on some of the best ones available in the market. Also, you will discover what are types of balance boards and the different types of exercises you could perform with these boards.
Top rated 3 Best Balance Board 2017 Reviews
Out of all the Balance boards available out there, I have made the selection job much easier for you by reviewing 3 best Balance Boards for 2017. You can select the one that meets all your requirements.
- Revolution FIT 3-in-1
- ProFitness Wooden Balance Board
- IndoBoard Balance Board with Roller
Made in USA, the Revolution Fit 3-in-1 has a heavy-duty construction, certainly assuring high durability.
It can be used by everyone, including athletes, fitness experts, etc. for strengthening, toning and building core muscles and enhancing stability. It also improves your reflexes, boosts recovery speed and builds sense of balance.
Versatile in nature, you can adapt the Revolution FIT 3-in-1 Balance board efficiently into your current workout regimen for more resistance and perform total body workout. It has wobble, rocker and roller, all 3-in-1 style of design.
· Engages core muscles and stabilizer muscles as well
· Can be incorporated with weights, medicine balls or other workout kit
· You can adjust resistance and type of motion on the fly
· Comes included with 3 different bases
· With rocker, you can experiment with new workouts; best for beginners
· Wobble cushion can be mouth-inflated and offers 360 degree motion
· Roller provided is suitable for challenging workouts; best for pros
· Top of Balance board is integrated with Dura-Soft grip for extreme comfort
- Made with heavy-duty construction; offers durability
- Versatile in nature, allows total body workout
- Can be used in living rooms, gyms, etc.
- Provides firm and comfortable grip while balancing
- 3-in-1 design is best for beginners as well as pros
- Strengthens core muscles; enhances balance, stability and reflexes
- Roller diameter might seem too small for some people
The wooden balance board from ProFitness is made to improve sense of balance, synchronization and flexibility as well as strengthen core muscles.
The design of the wooden balance board showcases stability and physical therapy system, making it ideal for rehabilitation of the injured ones.
· Weighs just under3 lbs. making it extremely easy to handle
· Measures 15.5” x 3.1”
· Has steady platform with Non-Slip top for utmost safety and comfort of the user
· High-quality Wooden Construction
· Maximum weight capacity of the board is 330lbs.
Can be used in homes, parks, workplaces, clinics
- Is extremely lightweight; perfect for portability
- Is affordably priced
- Can be used for workouts, improving health as well as rehabilitation
- Stable design- best for push-ups and balancing exercises
- Can be used by kids (4 years+) as well as adults
- Is backed with 30-days money-back guarantee
- Anti-slip top surface provides better grip and comfort
- Incorporated with Grip pads for maximum safety and stability
- Does not come with any kind of instructions or user guide
Indo Board offers this Balance Board that comes all-included with a molded plastic-made roller for versatile workout routines.
It is deliberately designed to enhance sense of balance, posture, steadiness, agility and also can be used for strengthening core as well as lower body muscles.
It has been used by professional athletes all across the globe; it can be used for rehabilitation and physical therapy as well.
· Oval Wooden deck measures 30” x 18” which is perfect for tall users as well
· This deck is made from cabinet-grade Baltic Birch wood for better durability
· Sturdy design of molded plastic roller has 6.5” of diameter
· Versatile design allows core muscles and lower body workout
· Can be used to improve balance, stability, agility and posture of the user
· It has maximum weight capacity of about 250 lbs.
- Comes all-included with a Demo-DVD
- This DVD has 2 hours of guide for you to master the use of Indo Board
- Can be used for rehabilitation, sports training as well as exercising
- Can be used for mastering Surfing, snowboarding, skiing, etc.
- Sturdily designed roller will provide high durability and better stability
- Highly priced
5 Difference Types of Balance Board
Based on the style of its construction, the Balance Boards can be broadly divided into 5 main types. Each type of balance board is unique in its construction, offers different flexibility, has different difficulty level and fulfills different objectives. According to the type of application and purpose of use, you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
Following is an in-depth info on main types of Balance boards available and which product is best in those categories.
- 1. rocker board
- 2. Rocker Roller Board
- 3. Wobble Board
- 4. Sphere and Ring Board
- 5. Spring Board
1. Rocker Board
A Rocker board is the most simplest and uncomplicated type of Balance Board which can be used by beginners for learning new balancing exercises. The underside of the rocker board is integrated with a fulcrum above which a flat board is fitted. This board is either made up of plastic or wood.
It offers bi-directional movements, that is, front-back and side-to-side. This direction can be altered by altering your weight and position on the board. This type of balance board is recommended for static balance training.
One of the best type Rocker Boards available today is this Fitter First Pro Rocker Boards with 20” square deck made from Birch and 14” of rocker base. It is highly recommended for basic static balance training and is ideal for novices who are learning to use balance boards.
The discs on the Rocker board can be adjusted or rolled up or down. Which is why, you can set 3 different angled positions on this Fitter First board. The angles on the board can be adjusted from the range of minimum 10° to maximum 15°.
It is quite affordable, has simple design and can be carried around anywhere you wish. It has been integrated with double fulcrums, which makes it little less challenging than other balance boards. For the injured ones, this can be perfect option for rehabilitation and physio therapy.
2. Rocker Roller Board
Rocker Roller Boards have a slight higher difficulty level than the Wobble Boards. It usually has a design with unattached fulcrum for providing a hint of instability to the board for the users to learn balancing much better.
Generally, the underside of the Rocker Roller boards is incorporated with an unattached cylindrical roller (fulcrum), above which the deck is fitted. This deck looks like a skateboard and is long enough for comfortable balancing.
The roller moves on the ground in accordance with the desk and the weight of the user. This perpendicularly placed roller, rolls under the desk allowing for more challenging workouts, perfect for the experts. It provides bi-directional movement of the board, meaning, side-to-side as well as lateral gliding motion.
Some brands offer rollers with even diameter throughout, whereas some of the products have tapered roller diameter for extreme difficulty.
Designed with skilled craftsmanship, the IndoBoard Balance board provideshigh durability and better endurance against wear.Even though it is expensively priced, the Indo Board features hardwood-made deck with anti-slip surface for better grip and comfort.
Its design includes 30” x 18” wooden deck and 6.5” diameter of the molded plastic roller. The product comes all-included with a Demo DVD which contains 2 hours of instructional guide to master the balancing with Indo Board. It is offered in varied lively colors, for you to choose from.
It can be used on carpets as well as hard floors without any inconvenience. It is designed to strengthen lower-body as well as other core muscles, making it the best Rocker Roller type of Board.
3. Wobble Board
Wobble Boards are extremely versatile in nature as they provide multi-directional motion to the user with 360 degree rotation. Usually the wobble boards feature attached fulcrums which are semi-spherical in shape. The flat side of this fulcrum is integrated with the deck in center and the rounded section of the fulcrum is in contact with the ground.
With wobble boards, you can easily perform different styles of workouts including push-ups, squats as well as overhead presses. Some of the balance boards are provided with detachable spherical fulcrum, so that you can efficiently alter the tilt angle as per your convenience. Such type of boards can be used to perform static balance training.
ProFitness offers this Wooden Balance Board, which is one of the best Wobble Boards due to its heavy-duty wooden construction with anti-skid surface finishing. This top surface has been incorporated with grip pads for users’ stability and maximum security while exercising.
It can be used to improvise your sense of balance, coordination and flexibility. Also, it can be used by injured people for rehabilitation, as the design of the ProFitness Balance Board features stability and physical therapy system.
With the weight of just 3 lbs., it is extremely lightweight and easy to carry around. With maximum weight capacity of about 330 lbs., it can be used by kids as well as adults.
4. Sphere and Ring Board
Sphere-and-Ring Board features unattached fulcrum design and these ball-shaped fulcrums are generally made from rubber. The underside of such boards have built-in ring to accommodate the fulcrum ball protectively.
Sphere-and-Ring Boards offers great amount of challenge to the users due to its multi-directional design construction. You can efficiently perform dynamic balance training as it allows 360 degree range of motion.
By altering the positions and the impact of weight, the user can perform variety of stunts and styles of exercises. It engages different core body muscles intensely allowing the users to execute total body workouts. It is an Ideal choice for Pro trainers that are seeking for some challenging equipment of balancing.
The size and weight of the fulcrum ball plays a major role to decide the difficulty level of this equipment.
5. Spring Board
Spring Boards are types of balance boards with Attached fulcrum in the form of durable springs. These springs are integrated between the base platform and the upper deck. The weight of the user, when he stands on the deck, causes these springs to undergo compression and provides slight degree of instability to the deck.
While maneuvering, the user needs to balance this instability of the board which is the key task here. By changing the position and controlling the weight distribution, the users can maneuver in any direction.
Spring Boards intensely engage your stability muscles, providing strength and fine tone to them. Users can also perform push-ups as well as squats with the spring boards for highly intensive workouts.
The difficulty level of the spring boards highly depend on the compressive strength of the springs. It is an ideal choice of equipment to perform resistance training.
Featuring its Patented Multi-spring technology, the StrongBoard offers the Best type of Spring Balance Board till date. This technology intentionally targets the core muscles and allows their strengthening and toning. It can also be used to enhance balance, posture, agility and in rehabilitation of injured muscles.
With the maximum weight capacity of about 500 pounds, it can be used by professional athletes as well as elders efficiently. This product comes all-included with a huge poster that showcases different exercises to perform with StrongBoard. The StrongBoard desk is rested onto 4 Compression springs and users can utilize their bodyweight as a resistance while performing multi-directional exercises.
The product has been backed with 3 years of 100% purchase satisfaction guarantee, which is certainly a bonus.
What are the benefits of using Balance Boards?
- Balance board exercises boosts up communication between the body muscles and your brain, hence, improving neuromuscular coordination and your response time
- Balancing acts highly engages your stabilizer muscles which are not so active in any other type of exercising routines
- Your brain is highly alert while performing balancing exercises on the board, hence, improves your focusing ability
- Core muscles of your body are targeted with many of the balance board exercises such as squats, push-ups, further improving your posture and flexibility
- Core muscles of your body are targeted with many of the balance board exercises such as squats, push-ups, further improving your posture and flexibility
- Basic balance boards like rocker boards can be used for rehabilitation and gradual recovery of injured joints/muscles
- Balance board exercises can also toughen your joints, therefore, reducing risks of injuries, especially ankle sprains
- It also enhances your patience and concentration power
6 Types of Exercises you can perform with Balance Boards
Below given is a list of different exercises you can safely perform with these balance boards.
- 1. SQUAT
- 2. push-ups
- 3. plank
- 4. One leg balance
- 5. Squat to Overhead Presses
- 6. Mountain climbers
After balancing your posture on the board by keeping the knees wide, slowly squat down to a position where your thighs are fairly parallel with the ground. Keep your back straight and bend your knees. You can also try and position your weight on either sides of the board for versatility.
For more intense workout, hold-in the squat-down position for a longer period while balancing on the board. This exercise targets your bums, thighs and quad muscles. Watch the following video for proper steps:
Performing push-ups using a balance board can provide good workout as compared to regular push-ups on floor. You can either start with close-grip or wide-grip or regular grip, as per your convenience and intension of targeting chest muscles.
Keep your hands on either side of the boards, keep your feet wide, shoulders hovering over wrists and start your push-ups, gradually speeding up. Make sure to balance the board accurately without letting it touch the floor.
Similar to the push-ups, holding up planks can make your balance board exercises more intense. Hold the board with both of your hands on the either sides and balance it suitably. Make sure to keep your back straight, tighten the abdominal muscles and do not let the board touch the floor.
For more versatility, shift your weight side-to-side and try to balance your position. Also, you can lift one leg upwards, at a time, for more intensity in the workout.
4. One leg balance
Place one foot in the middle of the balance board and keep the other foot bent from the knees. Hold onto this position as per your ability and later start with the other leg.
This exercise is great to improve the sense of balance.
5. Squat to Overhead Presses
Place your feet on outer sides of the board while holding the dumbbells in your hand. After balancing your position, squat down by bending your knees and keep your back straight. Also, you can get the dumbbells up to your shoulders for more intensity.
Come back to the neutral position by controlling the heels.
You can also perform overhead dumbbell presses.
6. Mountain climbers
Just like push-ups, grip both sides of the board with your hands and raise yourself up to highest level keeping your back straight.
Now perform mountain climbers by taking your knees towards your ribs and to neutral position again. Repeat this process to target your core abdominal muscles.
Which Best Balance Board should I buy?
According to the type of application and the level of difficulty you desire, you can pick any of the above products mentioned in balance board reviews. There are different balance boards deliberately constructed for beginners as well as expert trainers.
The Revolution FIT Balance Board is certainly the best amongst all, due to its cutting-edge 3-in-1 type of design. It features rocker, wobble as well as roller style of design all-in-one single equipment, making it highly versatile to use. The heavy-duty construction assures its high durability. All-in-all it is the best Balance board of 2017 with power-packed features and fairly affordable price.