Are you struggling to buy the best weight bench? Are you unable to decide as to which type of weight bench should you buy for your home gym? You are at the right place. Keep reading…
Finding and buying a new workout bench is not an easy task especially if you are not aware of the different types of weight benches and the factors that add to its value.
In this detailed Weight Bench reviews & buying guide, you will get access to some of usefull information that will help you find out the best one.
Top 3 Best Weight Benches on the Market 2021
If the gigantic number of different weight benches out there confuse you, don’t worry, I have you covered. In the section below, I have reviewed three best weight benches 2018 in the market. Choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Bowflex SelectTech 5.1: Best Adjustable Weight Bench
- Universal 5 Position Weight Bench: Best Budget Weight Bench
- XMark Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Bench: My RECOMMEND for YOU!
In-depth 3 Top Rated 3 Weight Bench Reviews
1. XMark Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Bench – Best Overall Weigh Bench
One of the best and my PERSONAL FAVORITE Weight Bench. It has no match in terms of quality, design, features, and strength.
- Adjustable to 7 different positions at different angles.
- You can do a whole lot of bench exercises on it.
- It has the ability to handle up to 1500 lbs weight.
- It comes with an ergonomic seat design that is adjustable.
- It is constructed of steel making it very strong and high quality.
- The body is scratch-resistant.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- It is extremely comfortable and fully adjustable.
- A very feature-rich weight bench
- It is adjustable and offers you with 7 different exercise positions
- It is heavy, has a high weight capacity, and it doesn’t wobble
- Backed by lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Comfortable and easy-to-assemble
- Best for dumbbell workouts
- The pads and the cushions have a bad smell which might irritate you.
I personally recommend XMark Adjustable dumbbell weight bench for all its features and quality that it brings with it. It has all the five factors that we discussed above and this is one solid reason why it is my number one recommendation to beginners and pros alike.
2. Bowflex SelectTech 5.1 – Best Adjustable Weight Bench
This is one of the best adjustable weight benches that you will ever find. If you are in need of an adjustable bench that can decline up to 17 degrees and incline up to 90 degrees, look no further and grab SelectTech 5.1 by Bowflex.
- It adjusts to 6 different positions allowing you to do a whole lot of different exercises.
- It is sturdy and a high quality bench that is sure to go a long way.
- It has the potential to correct your posture and position for enhanced safety.
- It comes with 30 years frame warranty and one year upholstery warranty.
- It has a sturdy leg attachment.
- Adjustable to six different positions.
- Comes with 30 years warranty.
- Well-designed and compact
- Strongly built.
- Though the bench weighs around 65 lbs but it wobbles a bit especially if you are not lean.
The best thing about Bowflex SelectTech 5.1 is its adjustability that allows you to do pretty much all types of bench workouts. This single feature makes it the best adjustable weight bench.
3. Universal 5 Position Weight Bench – Best Budget Weight Bench
How about an affordable adjustable bench? This is the best Budget Weight Bench that provides you with a lot of features at such a low price.
- A weight bench on a budget that anyone can afford.
- It adjusts to 5 different positions at different angles.
- It can handle maximum 430 pound which is quite enough.
- It has five inch foam and comes with a roller for safety.
- Fairly strong and sturdy. Works on all types of floors.
- Very pocket-friendly. Even if you are short of cash, you can still afford it
- It is extremely comfortable. The thick foam makes it soft and comfortable
- It doesn’t wobble at all
- Rollers aren’t comfortable
- The leg holders are bit poorly designed
- No warranty from the manufacturer
At such a low price, Universal 5 Position Weight Bench is simply a no-brainer. A bench for the money that is adjustable, is comfortable and sturdy shouldn’t be ignored.
6 Types of Weight Bench
There are 6 different types of weight bench available to choose from. In the section below, I will discuss each type in detail and then I will review one best weight bench for that particular bench type.
- 1. FLAT BENCH
- 2. Adjustable Weight Bench
- 3. Olympic Weight Bench
- 4. Folding Weight Bench
- 5. Abdominal Bench
- 6. Preacher Curl Bench
1. Flat Bench
These are the most common and most popular types of benches. These are the flat benches that don’t have any attachments. Due to their simplistic nature, they are easy-to-handle and don’t occupy a lot of space. Some of the common exercises that can be done on a flat bench are bench dips, bench press, and bicep curls.
Marcy Flat Utility Weight Bench
If you are interested in buying one of the best flat benches, go for this beauty from Marcy. It is an affordable, comfortable, durable, and powerful flat bench that is perfect for all types of exercises. It allows you to add weights and other add-ons with the bench to take it to the next level.
It is flat and extremely comfortable. You will never feel any kind of pain when doing exercise on this amazing bench.
2. Adjustable Weight Bench
An adjustable bench is flexible and allows you to do a whole lot of exercises by adjusting the bench as per need. It can lie flat, can be inclined or declined. This is the reason why adjustable benches are so famous among people at large as you can use them as flat benches and can incline or decline.
Some of the exercises that you can do an adjustable bench include dumbbell bench press, butterflies, flat back exercises, incline bicep curls and shoulder press.
Bowflex SelectTech 5.1
This is the best adjustable weight bench that you will find out there. It is durable and comfortable. The best thing about Bowflex SelectTech 5.1 is that it can be adjusted to six different positions allowing you to do several exercises. It is backed by 30 years manufacturer warranty.
3. Olympic Weight Bench
Olympic Weight benches are professional advance level benches that are wider and longer. They have the potential to handle lots of weight so if you are heavy or if you want to do some advance exercises on the bench, go for an Olympic bench.
Olympic benches are not simple benches rather they have several additional equipment added to them such as squat rack, weight plates, rod, dumbbells and more. It is a complete workout machine that allows you to do some advance exercises such as squats, quad exercises, bench press and more.
Phoenix 99226 Power Pro Olympic Bench
This is my favorite bench as it has a lot on the plate. It is a heavy duty bench that’s made of steel and comes with one year frame warranty. It can be used as a flat bench, incline or decline and at the same time it has a squat and Olympic bar and plate adaptors with clips.
If you want to do some heavy compound exercises, try Phoenix 99226 Power Pro Olympic Bench.
4. Folding Weight Bench
Not all the benches can be folded. If you are in need of a weight bench that can be folded and carried easily anywhere, you should go for a folding one. These benches are not feature-rich as they have to fold so these are either flat or adjustable benches.
Body-Solid Powerline Flat/Incline/Decline Folding Bench
It is a multipurpose folding bench by Powerline. It can be used in seven different positions. It can be inclined and declined as per need. The best thing is that it is perfect for dumbbell exercises. It is extremely easy to move and carry this folding bench with you.
5. Abdominal Bench
It is a bench that is specifically made for performing ab exercises. The position of these benches can be either flat, incline or decline. These benches have foot rollers that are used to lock the feet thus protecting the exerciser.
XMark 12 Position Ergonomic Adjustable Decline Ab Bench
One of the most powerful and steel made abdominal bench that is adjustable to 12 different heights. It has ergonomic designed foot rollers that help reduce back pain. The 2.5 inches cushion make it extra comfortable.
6. Preacher Curl Bench
It is a bench that’s made for doing preacher curls specifically. If you want to build your biceps, you shouldn’t hesitate to invest on one of these benches.
XMark Seated Preacher Curl Weight Bench
This preacher curl weight bench has 10 different height adjustments allowing you to do different exercises such as barbell, dumbbell, and even reverse grip barbell. It is a sturdy and strongly built bench that is extremely comfortable.
5 Critical Factors to Consider When Finding the Best Home Weight Bench
There are five factors to be considered when searching for and buying a weight bench for your home gym. Whenever you are looking for a bench, always consider these factors as they will help you choose the best one.
Adjustable weight benches can be adjusted to perform different workouts. These benches can either have steps or pins to adjust the height and inclination of the bench as per need.
The quality refers to the strength of the bench and the material with which it is made. The bench quality is also associated with the safety of the user as higher quality benches are safe and stable.
There are benches made for different types of exercises that are done with different positions such as military, flat, incline or decline.
Not all the workout benches are equally priced. You have to look at your pocket when choosing one.
Now this is really an add-on that shouldn’t be ignored. If your weight bench is backed by manufacturer warranty, you don’t have to worry about anything.
Top 6 Best Workout Bench Exercise
Here is a list of 6 best exercises that you can do on a weight bench.
- 1. Dumbbell Pullover
- 2. Bench Press with Dumbbells
- 3. Dumbbell Row
- 4. Incline Press with Dumbbells
- 5. Concentrated Curl
- 6. Lying Triceps Extension
1. Dumbbell Pullover
Lie on the weight bench and pick a dumbbell with both hands. You have to move the dumbbell with both the hands above your head and then slowly move the dumbbell behind your head and bend your elbows. Stay there for a moment and then bring the dumbbell back above your head.
2. Bench Press with Dumbbells
Bench Press is a great exercise for shoulders, triceps, and pectorals.
Lie on the bench with back straight touching the bench and feet should stay flat on the ground. Hold the dumbbells (one in each hand). Move the dumbbells above your head by stretching your arms vertically. The dumbbells should touch each other. From this position, move the dumbbells down to each corresponding outer chest. Stay there for a couple seconds and move the dumbbells up again and touch them.
3. Dumbbell Row
Put your one knee on the bench while the other foot should be on the ground. Hold a dumbbell in the hand that corresponds to the foot on the ground. The other hand should rest on the bench. Bring the dumbbell up by pulling your elbow as high as you can. This will raise the dumbbell. Now move the dumbbell back to its lower position and repeat.
4. Incline Press with Dumbbells
This is performed in a similar way as bench press with dumbbells. The only difference is that in this case, the bench will be inclined. Incline your bench above 15 degrees and then do incline press with dumbbells the same way as you do bench press with dumbbells.
5. Concentrated Curl
This is a perfect exercise for biceps. Here is how to do it.
Sit on the weight bench with legs apart and feet resting flat on the ground. Pick a dumbbell so that the palms should face upward. Place the elbow on the corresponding thigh. Lean a bit forward keeping your back straight. Put the other hand on the other thigh. Now lift the dumbbell up and bring it up to the chest. Move the dumbbell down slowly to its original position.
6. Lying Triceps Extension
Lie on the bench and keep the feet flat on the ground. Pick the bar with palms facing the face. Now bring the bar above your forehead slowly. Make sure that your elbows do not lock in the process. Now move the bar slowly up and take it above your head to an extent your arms get straight. Hold for a few seconds and move the rod to its initial position above the forehead.
Which Best Weight Bench should I buy?
Let me conclude this comprehensive weight bench buying guide by saying that a bench is nothing more than an equipment that just aids in the workout. It is you who have to have the passion and the courage to make the best use of the best weight bench.
Better use your bench Nicely!
- Top 3 Best Weight Benches on the Market 2021
- In-depth 3 Top Rated 3 Weight Bench Reviews
- 6 Types of Weight Bench
- 5 Critical Factors to Consider When Finding the Best Home Weight Bench
- Top 6 Best Workout Bench Exercise
- Which Best Weight Bench should I buy?